Saturday, September 13, 2008

Jobs are very black & white


If you are hired as a carpenter, then dripping adhesive on the floor and leaving behind a dusty mess is none of your concern because you completed the job you were hired to do.

I spent yesterday on my hands and knees scouring my kitchen floor with an abrasive sponge trying to get the space livable again. I rubbed and rubbed to get dried adhesive up off the tile that looked like blotches of dirt and grime. I also got up the layer of dust at the same time. You can now be barefooted in my kitchen again.

Another example: A man came and fixed a hole in the ceiling of the kids' bathroom. Sure, he did his job, but the whole bathroom is covered in a thin white dust from the drywall sanding. There are chunks of plaster stuck to the walls, in the shower, and almost filling the soap dish. It will take a lot of scrubbing to fix his sloppiness - cleaning up was never a consideration, I don't believe containing the mess ever entered his mind.

What I'm trying to say is that work here is very black and white. You hire someone to do a job and they will do that job only (unless you specifically negotiate additional work).

Since the population is so large, I suppose you hire an unskilled worker to do the cleanup of a tradesman. I just couldn't imagine going into someones house and making a horrible mess and just walking away...

No comments: