Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Being a woman in India

Being white skinned in India has HUGE advantages... security rarely stops us, if we insist on something we usually get it, some times it is seen as an honor for white people to be present (like at the Genesha festival last night - entry + photos to come),etc. Some times it's hard to see the discrepancy because I'm usually shopping or doing my business by myself or with other white people, but Tuesday I ran errands with Jennifer and it was very apparent that her experience is much different than mine.

BUT being a woman is obviously of low status. Now that we have moved into the house, many workmen and service providers have been to the house during the day. They always ask for "Sir". I tell them Sir is not at home and they need to speak with me... they'd almost rather leave and come back at a later time than conduct business with a "Madame."

Also, paperwork is filled out with "Sir's" name - even if I'm doing the purchasing.
It all takes a little getting used to...

No comments: