Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Good Morning Auntie"

I was back at the convent school today. It was very nice to walk in this morning and see bright smiling faces that I recognized. A few girls had new haircuts and I was quick to pick them out which sent most of them into a bashful blush. All of my "Good Morning Auntie"s were much more heartfelt as people recognized me, it had been 6 days...


For the first half hour of the morning the Sisters had me help sew some aprons. They asked me if I knew how to sew and use a sewing machine. I said yes but that I was out of practice because it has been many years since I've used one. A Sister took me upstairs and showed me the OLDEST manual sewing machine I've ever seen. You have to rock a pedal with your food to make it go. But the rocking motion is the same for both forward and backward stitching and for some reason I kept sending it into reverse. By the time I got the hang of it the 9:30a school bell rang and I was sent downstairs.
But I suppose in a place with constant power outages, a manual sewing machine makes the most sense (not to mention the cost).

I helped an autistic boy with the morning exercises. He thought it was funny so he laughed the whole time (the Sisters weren't happy with his laughter).

Then I helped in the classroom. I listened to two girls read. At first a Sister gave me the morning's newspaper so the students could read the big headlines to me. As we read I felt the headlines were terribly inappropriate; Suspects held in Pakistani bombing, 4 die in Temple stampede, local terror bombings, bombing suspects, Christians being terrorized, etc., etc., etc. So we got out a workbook with sentences that were much more friendly.

But here's the thing that has haunted me all day... one of the girls I was working with told me her parents were coming today at 4:00p. She was very happy. She said she misses her mother. "Mommy coming, mommy coming" Then as I'd work with the other girl, this first girl would start crying because she couldn't wait for her parents to come. So then she said to me, "Are you coming to my house?" And I said no because I had to pick up my children after school. So she said, "Good, because if you do my Daddy will beat me." And I was stunned and speechless. Then she asked if I will be at school when her parents come, I said no because I have to leave at 3:00p when school is over. She said "Good, because if you talk to me my Daddy will beat me." Wow.
Now you're probably wondering what I did with this information.
I did nothing.
But I've also witnessed how Nuns get their reputation for being strict discipilinarians. The Nuns definitely use tough love with these kids. So I didn't think reporting what I had heard to the Sisters would make the impact it would back in the US.
At recess the same girl had me sit with her while she sang me a song. When she was done she said it was "Daddy's song".

At recess I also played catch with several girls. One girl is both physicall and mentally disabled and has poor motor skills but we were able to play a game of catch. When I'd throw the frisbee softly right at her stomach she could usually catch it. She was THRILLED and I'm under the impression people don't play catch with her. She can't talk, she drools, and apparently when she likes someone she really likes them because she became very territorial about me. I tried to bring other friends into our game of catch and she got very upset. And words like "share" "gentle" and "no grabbing" have no impact for so many reasons.

After PE was lunch. I fed an autistic boy who can't hold a spoon or feed himself. The Sisters had me hold his spoon in his hand and make the motions like he's feeding himself. When the Sisters feed the kids who can't feed themselves I'm surprised the kids don't choke 'cause the Sisters are all about business. I, on the other hand, wanted to make sure the first bite was swallowed before he put another bite in. Silly me.

After lunch was nap time and I oversaw the same nap room I did last time. Same naughty girls being naughty while the nappers napped. But there is one little Angel, probably 4 years old, who slept with a smile on her face the whole time. Bless her little heart. I could have watched her sleep for hours.

After nap it was dance rehearsal time. A Sister told me they are rehearsing a dance number for the Parent's Program. I said that was exciting, and asked "When will the Parent's Program be, October?" No, MARCH!! They're starting now because it takes so long for them to learn the steps. Wow.

After dance rehearsals it was 3:00p and parents, rickshaws and motorcycles started arriving to take people home or to the other orphanage.

I got a lot of "Thank you Auntie" and "Bye Auntie" as we all said good-bye.
I will be back next Wednesday since my kids have a program at their school this Friday.
The convent school will be on break next week but they told me I can come and do things with the girls who board.

No comments: