Sunday, July 20, 2008

Having a car and driver

Our driver's name is Gopi and he drives us around in a Toyota Innova (a small minivan with 3 rows of seats). It's very comfortable and has air conditioning.

Gopi lives in downtown Bangalore and we live on the outskirts of Bangalore in an area called Whitefield.

For Gopi to come and get us takes 1 to 1.5 hours due to traffic.

I am on my own today. Erik is catching a ride to work with a couple guys staying nearby. So Gopi is on stand-by for me.

Other than just cruising around to see more of the city, the only need I have for Gopi today is to buy a case of bottled water. So I'm supposed to call him, have him drive 1.5 hours to get me, to take me 10 minutes away so I can buy some water, then drive 1.5 hours home??

Also, you can't be spontaneous. If you get the idea to get up and go, it will be an hour+ before you can actually venture out. Of course, there are other forms of transportation if you have to go right at this moment, but it's something that takes getting used to. I need to plot out our activities so Gopi will be standing by.

I would love to take the kids for a walk today, just to explore the area where we are temporarily living but there is no sidewalk. There is a patch of dirt with speeding traffic on one side and a deep ditch on the other. PLUS we had hours of heavy downpour last night so the dirt is now a thick clay mud with lots of muddy puddles.

UPDATE: Erik found the Bangalore Library on the internet and it has a nice children's section. Maybe that will be our big adventure today. Maybe we'll grab lunch while we're out too... (baby steps)

No comments: