Thursday, April 16, 2009

Any doctors out there?

Wow, I can't believe I haven't done a post since April 9th...
I've got a backlog, just haven't gotten to it.
Will do soon.


In the mean time, does anyone out there know what causes a person to vomit blood?
Our maid, Jennifer, was complaining of vomiting blood last weekend. A friend gave her some plain, spongy white bread and Jennifer said it really helped. I didn't hear of it again and she was in good spirits.

On Monday morning Jennifer seemed fine. She did her work and went to downtown Whitefield (our suburb) with a friend. When she returned she was quiet and saying she wasn't feeling well. In the early evening she complained of vomiting blood then retired to her room. (I sound kind of callous because life's little aches and pains are usually larger than life with her and her earlier complaint seemed to go away rather easily). Later that evening Erik knocked on her door to ask a question and it took her a while to come to the door because she had been sleeping. Then her Auntie called me and told me Jennifer had called her to say she is vomiting blood and fainting. The Auntie said they were coming to get her to take her to hospital.

That was Monday night. Tuesday I called to check up on her and her Auntie said Jennifer was back home but had been at the hospital most of the night. She needs 3-4 days to rest and would be back at the hospital for a check-up on Wednesday.

Wednesday I called to see how she is and the Auntie says Jennifer is still not well, took in 3 bags of IV fluids, and the cause of the problem is that she was not eating well.
Not eating well? During lent Jennifer was not eating eggs or any kind of animal protein but most Indians have a vegetarian diet and rely on legumes and curd to supplement. That's what Jennifer had been eating, that and rice, rice, rice!

This evening Jennifer's Auntie just rang my doorbell. She and Jennifer's Uncle came to tell me that she is still not well, they presented me with a doctor's note in English saying Jennifer is very sick, will be transported to a different hospital, took in several more bags of IV fluids, and should be given a short leave from work until she can regain her strength. (Oh, and they requested monetary assistance with the doctor bill)

Again I asked what the cause of the problem is and the Auntie/Uncle said the doctor does not know. Jennifer has had x-rays and scans but everything comes back normal yet the bloody vomiting continues. Her only nutrition is through her IV.
Any ideas??
She's only 19! What could it be?

Our thoughts are with you Jennifer! Speedy recovery!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be a number of things, but my first thought would be a gastric ulcer. I'm sure you've been combing the Web, so have come up with this one, too. I hope Jennifer finds good medical care and recovers soon. I bet the kids miss her.
Ruth

Bree said...

Just checked your blog this am...so sorry to hear about this!!
Just a thought...has she been tested for Hepatitis?? Have they checked her liver function? Is she jaundiced??
Hep A and B can cause these symptoms and are pretty widespread in developing countries....not to freak you out!!