Wednesday, April 29, 2009

1st grade spelling test

I've already mentioned that Annika's spelling tests are RIDICULOUS...

This week they have "whether"
WHAT??
They haven't even had "weather" and they have "whether" on their spelling test?!?
Tell me, how often do YOU use that word?? But "weather" is used all the time.
What are they thinking???

UPDATE:
Full list for this week:
around, give, lamp, things, whether, explain, compare, direction, created, show length, colour, rainbow, features, magnifying
last week:
apply, falls, facts, enough, different, moves, Earth, image, plane, stars, moon, beam, travel, Scientific, accurate

2 comments:

Cattina said...

Are there any other 'wh' words on the list? If not I really don't get it! There is usually a direct connection between spelling/phonics/reading. Wh is the only phonics skill I could see them trying to connect to whether. Then again, foreign country....who knows how they plan their curriculum!

Cattina said...

Now that I see your update with the full spelling list, it makes absolutely NO sense to me! Only thing I can figure is maybe they are connecting spelling to concepts being learned simultaneously in other subject areas? I'd be really interested to know more about their curriculum...anyways, I heard or maybe read somewhere that India has more 'smart kids' than America has kids...go with it!...lol

Good luck Annika!