Friday, March 20, 2009

I need to communicate better

I went to a shop today and bought an Indian pant suit. The pants were crazy long (it's the style to have narrow pants and a bunch of it gathered at the ankle) but it was just too long for me so the staff at the shop said there is an in-house tailor that can make alterations in 30 minutes.
Great.
I purchased my items and went upstairs. "Tailor" is not the right word it's "alterations" by the way.
I showed them my pants, said I needed them shortened and they measured me and said they'd take care of it. That exchange was so easy that I thought I might as well get the blouse altered too.
I showed them the blouse and said "it's too tight" (Indian clothes make NO ROOM for boobs!!)
The woman held it up to my chest, spread out the garment and said "It's just right M'dam"
I said "no, it's too tight"
"Tight, M'dam?"
"Yes, it's too tight"
OK, they said and told me both pieces would be ready in half an hour.

I ran a little late running other errands, so I grabbed my items, and took off toward home so I'd be at the kids' bus stop on time.

In the car on the way home, I was excited to see my new items. I took the blouse out of the bag and turned it inside out so I could see the adjustment they made.

I'm sure you've figured out the punch line by now...
"too tight" was my mistake. I need to tell people WHAT I NEED rather than what is wrong. I needed to say "I need it bigger" because, of course, they made it "tight" - just like I'd asked...
Good thing they didn't cut material, they just made a new seam and I can rip it out and it should be just like it was when I bought it.
Live and learn...

No comments: