Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dad's visit - The End/Delhi

Dad's e-mail:
Hi All
I am now in Delhi.

You have probably asked yourself - what is the difference between Delhi and New Delhi. Well, it turns out that Delhi has been here since before Christ. New Delhi was an area created by the British in 1911 near the center of old Delhi. The British built a Palace and a bunch of government buildings in New Delhi. When India gained its independence in 1947, they turned the Palace into the Presidental residence and office, much like the White House in Washington, DC. So the capital of India is officially in New Delhi.

From the airport I had a driver and a guide. We stopped and saw some momunents, a church in the shape of a lotus flower, the site where Ghandi was cremated and some of his ashes stored and a big shopping center near my hotel. Most of the shops were closed as it was Sunday afternoon. Tomorrow I will walk over and check it out.

There are 4 English language channels on TV, so I watched Back To The Future II before going down to dinner.

KU won their basketball game against Iowa State and coach Self earned his 400th coaching victory. Pretty good for a coach who is only 47.

Helen took me to the Bangalore Airport this morning. I was surprised how fast the 9 days went. We did a lot and saw a lot in a very short period of time. They have a very nice set up and are really enjoying the experience. I can see why they would be happy to stay another year or two in India.

Annika and Auggie say good-bye to Grandpa.

Bye Papa! It was a wonderful visit! Come again soon!!

All for now

John

ps Helen - I saw a Nano on the street today and got a picture.

No comments: