Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Iyengar Yoga

I started yoga three weeks ago. It's amazing how standing in one pose can work up a sweat and get your heart rate up. I am very happy with my Yogi, she keeps her class sizes to 3 people so she can give everyone her full attention. She studied in Pune, India with Guru B.K.S. Iyengar. Iyengar Yoga is a form of Hatha Yoga.

Last week she moved me into a more intermediate-beginner class because she said I had good balance and caught on easily. During this class she said "it's now time to walk the wall" the other two women seighed and headed to the wall. One woman looked at me and told me not to worry about it because it took her two months before she was able to do it - I did it on my first try and could stand at a 90' angle for several minutes. (Then when the kids came home from school I was like "Look what Mommy can do!" Of course, in their strength and flexibility they didn't get what the big deal was, but I was proud of myself.)
To find out more, click here

No comments: