Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mole no more

I had a strange mole on my right shoulder. It wasn't the typical "cancer" mole but it was odd to me so I decided to have it checked. After all, we've lived entirely in sunshine for the last year and a half - my skin isn't used to that.


The kids said my stitches looked like a spider.

Got the pathology report back. The skin cells were thickened, due to sun damage, but no abnormal cells. My biopsy will be passed to a 2nd lab for a 2nd opinion, then the slide will be passed back to my dermatologist for her to take a look. She said the first report is most likely good enough to say the mole is nothing more than a mole and she'll let me know if the second report comes back any different.

Stitches were removed today too. I was given some ointment to lessen the scarring. I have to apply it twice a day, rub for 2 minutes, for 3 months... WOW!! But Bree Googled it and says it actually works. The dermatologist said it will work for my scooter accident scars too!

Oh, want to know what mole removal + pathology + stitches + stitch removal costs in India?
Consultation = Rps. 250 ($5.43)
Excision & Biopsy = Rps. 1,350 ($29.35)
That's not the co-pay... that's paid in full.

No comments: