Friday, October 23, 2009

Dad in Turkey - Istanbul

Hi All

I am in Instanbul. I arrived about 4:15pm local time. I was met by the transfer agent and rode to my hotel with a couple from Calgary, Alberta Canada. They will be on the same tour with me. They have been in Cambridge, England visiting their son who is studying at Cambridge for two years.

Istanbul is such a contrast from Alexandria and Cairo. It is much cleaner, there is greenery everywhere and the drivers are bad but better than Egyptian.

I had a crazy time on the way from Alex to the Cairo airport. Hanny picked me up at 6:30am and the plan was to get me to the airport by 10:30am. About 45 minutes down the highway the fan belt broke and we were stranded. He called a friend that had a car and about 45 minutes later he showed up. We all got in his car and took off. We were flying low most of the way to Cairo. Fortunately, Friday morning is the least busiest traffic day of the week because it is the start of their weekend. Most people sleep in, go to the Mosque at noon and then go to a big (family?) lunch. Surprising enough, Ahmed and Hanny delivered me to the airport at 10:45. Plenty of time to go through check-in, security and passport control.

Tomorrow I have arranged for a car and English speaking driver to take me around Istanbul and see some of the lesser site that we won't see on the tour. It should be interesting.

Well, all for now. It is 7pm here and I am going to go and find some dinner.

John

No comments: