Monday, August 3, 2009

Impressions of Sweden


Although I've been here before, I'm a different person than in past trips, and I have my children with me to add their thoughts/insights.
I thought I'd jot a few down.

** Scantily clad women
Don't get me wrong, I am not a prude, it's just that Linda and I both found it shocking to see so many women walking around in mini sun dresses with spaghetti straps and low neck lines. It took a while for me to understand my reaction - Linda and I have both been in countries that do not allow women to show their skin and I didn't realize how accustomed I'd become to it. India isn't as strict as Egypt, in Egypt Linda isn't even allowed to show her ankles.

** PDA
Public Display of Affection is also a no-no in India and Egypt but openly expressed in Sweden. Another shock to the system at first.

** It's so expensive
How do the Swedes do it? Everything from groceries, to transport (except the kids are free), to movies ($45 dollars to take the kids to see Ice Age 3-D - and of course I had to buy popcorn and drinks for an added $15), and eating out is crazy expensive. But I went into a Telia phone shop to add money to my SIM card and there were several young teens purchasing expensive cell phones without flinching. Walking around Stockholm nearly every woman had 2 or 3 shopping bags.

** Swedes have a HUGE sweet tooth
Every other store seems to offer ice cream, candy or baked goods. It's hard to imagine how they all stay in business but they all do a brisk business! Yes, Swedes walk more or ride their bikes and it's a very fit society but they sure like their sweets. It seems to be a big part of their zest for life (the strong coffee helps too).

** Sweden is child/dog friendly
My first impression of Sweden was landing at Arlanda Airport and had to buy a ticket for the bus to Uppsala. After flying for a day straight we pulled our luggage up to the Information center, where the tickets were sold, and there were TWO children play areas and a Pippi film playing against a white wall. It was so brilliant! I did my business without the children breaking down after a long trip.
Pet dogs are EVERYWHERE! And this is facilitated by dogs being allowed on buses and trains. The front section of the bus does not allow dog for allergy or other reasons, but passengers with dogs sit happily at the back of the bus.

** Public Transport is AWESOME!
Busses/trains are comfortable, clean, and comes on a frequent schedule. If public transport was like this in the US people would use it more.

** Sweden is Eco friendly
Recycling household garbage is huge (houses even have two waste cans - household garbage and one for compost), buses run on natural gas or other Eco friendly fuels, food products are often "Ecologically" friendly, they have recycle bins for batteries, lightbulbs and computer parts in convenient places. We stayed a night in a hotel in Uppsala and the trash can in our room had 4 parts - glass, paper, compost and "other".

** Sweden is Technology friendly
One of my first orders of business when I landed was to purchase a SIM card for my phone so Erik and I could keep in touch. I read about it on the internet before I arrived and it seemed like buying one would be hassle free. (In India you have to be a resident to purchase a SIM card so you have to present identification and paperwork to prove that you are entitled to a SIM card. I believe they do this due to the use of local SIM cards in terrorist activities.)
So after I purchased my bus ticket at Arlanda I went across the hall to a 7-11 type shop to get a bottle of water and maybe some candy (do as the Romans) they had a sign "Buy your SIM card here". So within 30 minutes of landing I had a bus ticket to Uppsala and my new SIM card.
When we moved to Varmdo we had no way of getting onto the internet. The only option was the Gustavsberg library and that was not convenient, so on a trip to Stockholm I went into an electronics shop and asked if they had portable internet I could buy without signing up for a year. They said yes and gave me a Comviq "Surfstickan" and I could buy internet by the day, week or month. It's fantastic and very affordable.

** Annika prefers India
I had to swallow my pride and let Annika be an individual by expressing that she likes India better. Of course, a big part of that statement could have to do with her missing her daddy. She made that statement a couple of weeks ago so I don't know if her feelings have changed, but I have a feeling when we arrive back in India, the brown earth, honking, and lack of wild raspberries, blueberries and smultron (lack of any kind of berry actually) will make her look back fondly of her 5 weeks in Sweden. The green forests, lakes/Baltic, walking trails, nature, fabulous food, and sweets (see #4) will be memories she'll think fondly back on.

** The kids like Vikings
Anything Viking or Pippi the kids go crazy for :-)

** The kids like Swedish mustard and caviar :-)

** I'm using my Swedish when I can
When the shop keepers are kind enough to let me express myself in broken Swedish I get to practice, but others jump right into English to finish the transaction. In past trips I was more emersed by speaking more, listening more and trying harder. I think the difference this trip is that I have the children with me so we're English 90% and Swedish when I have to 10%. Although the kids are picking up words too and using them which makes me very happy.

** It's fun to travel on your own, but family is best
The kids and I were with my sister and her kids for the first two weeks and that was a lot of fun. It was fun for the two families to reconnect and spend some time together. Then we separated and went to different parts of Sweden. Now, starting August 1st, A&A and I moved to Almunge, Sweden and into Gunvor's house (Gunilla's sister). Being in Almunge has been like coming home. A home I visit infrequently but home none the less. Unconditional love and familiarity... it's wonderful. The Larsson family is wonderful (AND so is the Christol family!!).

** Hating Mosquitoes is universal
At least the Swedish mosquitoes don't have Malaria or Dengue Fever - and our two weeks on Varmdo were 100% mosquito free! Almunge isn't nearly as bad as Tarnsjo but the kids are itchy and have hot swollen blotches on their legs and arms where they were bitten.

No comments: