Monday, November 10, 2008

Arranged marriage



Blew my maid's mind today.

Annika and I were talking about love and marriage and she asked me if I fell in love with her Daddy because he was so handsome. So I told her I was attracted to Daddy because of his rugged good looks but it was spending time together that really sealed it for me. After a few more questions I told her that Jennifer's sister is getting married next month and it is an arranged marriage. Annika looked puzzled. So I told her that other people picked Sheila's husband for her and she didn't get to meet him until the night of her engagement. And even on that night they had to wear veils so they have talked with each other but still haven't seen each other.

I brought Jennifer into the conversation to answer any questions Annika had. So I turned to Jennifer and told her that Erik & I have a love marriage. And everyone in our families have love marriages. And actually, out of all my friends and acquaintances back in the US I only have ONE friend who had an arranged marriage.

Jennifer was totally knocked over with this. It's the absolute opposite experience for her. She doesn't have any friends/social acquaintances who have love marriages. Then she had so many questions for me... "your sister?" "your parents?" etc.

No comments: