Saturday, July 11, 2009

Trip to Estonia - Tallinn, Tartu & Võnnu


Mäeotsa
Võnnu, Estonia, my Grandfather's birthplace and childhood home



As we walked around the Võnnu graveyard, we came across many gravestones with the name 'August'. I pointed one out, and then another, so August started running around pointing out all the other August gravestones he could find.
In this photo I am consoling Annika because we didn't see a single Annika headstone. A relative pointed out that Annika is a new name and this is an old cemetery but that didn't seem to help.


My buddy Edgar (my mom's first cousin - my grandfather's brother's son). He was happy that I shared some Vodka with him, we were friends for life after that. Then he opened his secret wooden chest and got out a bottle of 45% proof liquor and shared that with me too. I told him I found the second bottle tasty so he sent me home with that bottle and a full bottle of Estonian Vodka.

More photos from Estonia, by Peeter Parmask, my grandfather's brother's grandson click here

There is sooo much more to tell about Estonia but I must go to bed. :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How cool to meet family you didn't even know - so awesome! Jeff & I loved our trip to Tallin last year; so adorable. I'm so jealous of your trip - it sounds amazing! Say hi to Annika & August from Jeff & me! :)